Thursday, July 23, 2009

How Did I get to be an Adult?

When did this happen and how do I make it stop?

Last night it dawned on me, I'm old. Not old, but old in the sense that I'm considered an adult. I'm sure I've been considered this for a long time now but not until last night did it really dawn on me.

First, let me tell you the back story.

When I was about 14 or 15 years old, I started baby-sitting for a family on a very regular basis. When I say regular I mean I babysat five days a week after school with the occasionally Saturday thrown in there (for game night that is). The oldest boy was 3 years old and the twins (one boy and one girl) were 11 months. I babysat them all through my high school days and the summers of my college ones.

I literally became a member of their family and continue to go to birthdays and events to see them. Well I haven't seen Kyle, the oldest, in some time and I knew that the new Harry Potter movie was coming out so I sent him a quick email. Kyle and I have gone to every single one of the Harry Potter movies together so really, there was no one I would have rather seen it with. There was not a question in my mind that he would want to go to this movie with me.

Then I realized …

He is now a 13 year old boy, almost 14. Would it still be "cool" to see it with me? The opening of Harry Potter came and went and I still didn't receive a call from him. I was sad but I understood. That's when it started to dawn on me that I was getting older. I might not be the "cool" person to hang out with anymore.

But, I received a call a few days later. When I checked my voice mail I thought it was one of my guy friends - the voice was so deep. But I still heard him, Kyle the thirteen year old, calling to ask me if I would like to see the Harry Potter movie with him.

I was just elated that he still wanted to see this movie with me - and the best part - he seemed excited too. SO, we made the date.

So back to today, I realized that I am older but I am also that much wiser, which means I am that much more fun. Now I am able to help these kids - going through their teenage years can be tough and not every kid wants to explain and talk to their parents. I get to be a part of their lives again, not like I ever wasn't.

I am still, to this day, getting calls/texts/emails from each one of the kids. They make me feel special and I honestly hope that this bond doesn't end. But from the looks of it, it seems to only be getting stronger.

I am getting older but, to be honest, it's not that bad.


PS - I'm receiving text messages from the girl as I write this. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment